Image description

www.from A to Bee.com

2015

in the beginning !

On the spring of 2015 we set the hive at home. We purchased a full colony and from the first week we got them, the bees were making plans to move. We carried out an articial swarm and ended up with two colonies. Old colony with queen cells that dissapeared, new colony with old queen was doing well, until queen superseeded and replaced by a new queen. This gave us the opportunity to amalgamate the colonies. A week later the queen that was in the hive was found dead outside the hive and was superseeded with a new queen. 


The bees were very productive and brought in quite a lot of nectar for honey production and even though it was our first year with a colony at home we managed to get 20 kg of jarred honey. We left 20 kg in the hive for winter. The varroa count was high and we treated early with Apiguard and left them to get on for the winter.



Image description

2016

the story so far!

The bees did well coming out of winter. We had left them in two brood boxes and a half and when we opened the hive in the spring, the queen was busy laying. The brood had moved to the upper brood box and the bottom brood was empty. We took this off and replaced with half a brood on top. As the spring progressed the colony expanded rapidly and we decided to replace the half brood for a full brood box and ended up with two brood boxes. Even this didn't seem to be enough for them!. The queen was performing extremely well, that is until they decided to superseed her and brought on a new queen, who seemed intent to work even harder than her predecessor. We left 4 half brood frames in the brood box and these were almost exclusively used to rear all the drones as the workers made wild comb for them at the bottom of the super frames. Very large numbers of drones were produced which were all culled (includying larvae) from one week to the other. Varroa count was only 7 mites despite being such  a large colony. We sprinkled powdered sugar at the end of each inspection, this might have had an effect on the varroa count as we used it as part of our integrated pest management. The workers were bringing a lot of food but this just seemed enough to feed this huge colony so our noney crop was very small this year. We are going into winter with a very strong colony. We hope they make it into the spring. 

About Us

 

We decided to keep bees three years ago and embarked on a 10 week course at Wimbledon Beekeepers' Association (WBA). After finishing the course we were hooked on apiculture and we haven't looked back. We then became members of the WBA and began to attend the weekly meeting at the apiary on Sunday mornings to learn more about the craft. We shadowed very experienced beekeepers with decades of experience and a wealth of information. This has helped us along the way in our beekeeping journey.


We became members of the Wimbledon Beekeepers' Association and are currently serve as committee members helping in the running of the Association.


Apart from looking after the bees we have made some great friends along the way who are just as passionate about bees as we are.

Image description